Specialisterne Northern Ireland is an Autism at Work consultancy, which opened in Belfast in April 2014. As part of the Specialisterne International Network, which spans 15 countries for 15 years, and which pioneered the Autism at Work movement, we aim to support autistic people to get ready for, secure, and sustain, rewarding careers.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a unique not-for-private-profit organisation in Northern Ireland where you will have the opportunity to work with a small team of autism specialists seeking to develop new tools and techniques which support the career development and well-being of autistic adults.
Job Title: Autism Consultant (Full-time hours). Project: Recruit+
The Recruit+ programme was designed following consultation with autistic people in 2016 through surveys and focus groups with 100 autistic people and consultation with employers, recruitment consultancies, university and college staff and employment training providers. It is designed to provide the additional supports that help autistic people secure rewarding careers.
Working as part of the Recruit+ Project team, the Recruit+ Autism Consultant’s aim is to support participants, who are young people or adults on the Autistic Spectrum, to experience reduced attitudinal and communication barriers, and to progress in relation to having a career.
By providing Autism specialist support, the Recruit+ Autism Consultant will help participants feel more ready to meet employers, education and training providers, and to make a positive start to a new career.
The Recruit+ Autism Consultant will also connect with an exciting employer mentor network who will inform the Recruit+ curriculum, ensuring participant’s learning pathways are relevant to their chosen career at this time, and who will provide learning opportunities for participants.
• One to one meetings with Recruit+ participants, to support participants to develop strategies in relation to:
o Having a career
o Reducing attitudinal and communication barriers
• Coaching participants in relation to strategies of autistic people.
• Support of Career Clubs. For example, helping participants develop employability skills and resilience strategies for working life.
• Recruitment consultancy and employer briefings.
• Support of group workshops.
• Taking part in board games and other social activities
• Undertaking weekly activities, along with the Recruit+ project team, to support participants to achieve project aims, such as securing employment and further training or education.
• Maintaining records in relation to all project activity, in line with Specialisterne NI quality standards and GDPR regulations.
• Ongoing learning related to autism and autistic people and of tools and techniques which may support Recruit+ participants to achieve project objectives. There is a 6 month induction plan with Autism Specialists, followed by ongoing learning and professional development.
• Any other activity which fits the remit of the Recruit+ project.
• Study in a relevant subject area at undergraduate or post graduate level (this includes currently studying or completed). Examples of relevant study include Atypical Development, Psychology, Human Resources, Education, Autism Spectrum related, Sensory Integration. Other subject areas will also be considered in terms of relevance.
• Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of Autism.
• Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of Autism
• Experience in supporting children, young people, or adults on the Autistic Spectrum to achieve the changes they want
• Experience in supporting people in small groups
• Experience in documentation of work according to quality standards.
• Demonstrated willingness to learn and a commitment to developing new solutions for autistic people.
• A driving licence or ability to travel to various locations across Belfast when required.
Terms and Conditions
• 37.5 hours weekly, times to be agreed with the successful candidate. Hours typically between 8.30am-4.30pm, Monday -Friday. Location: Based at the Specialisterne NI offices, Skainos, 239 Newtownards Road, Belfast.
•The position is fixed term and is expected to run to March 2022. Salary range: £20-25k, commensurate with experience.
• Specialisterne NI is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Employment to this post is therefore subject to an Access NI Enhanced Check.
• Specialisterne NI is an equal opportunities employer.
The Recruit+ programme is part funded through the Northern Ireland European Social Fund Programme 2014 -2020, the Department for the Economy, and the Department for Communities.
• Interested applicants should send a Curriculum Vitae to:
Sharon Didrichsen, Manager, Specialisterne NI
By email: email@example.com
Or by post to:
239 Newtownards Road
• Closing date for applications: 30 September 2019
• For additional information regarding Specialisterne NI, visit https://www.specialisterneni.com or contact Sharon Didrichsen at firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile 07565 936191
Bank of Autism Support Workers
• With applicant permission, applicants from the shortlist for this post may also be considered for a Recruit++ Autism Consultant (Part-time maternity leave post), and/or the Specialisterne NI Bank of Autism Support Workers for part-time or full-time roles.