Specialisterne Northern Ireland is an Autism at Work consultancy, which opened in Belfast in April 2014. As part of the Specialisterne International Network, which spans 13 countries for 13 years, we aim to support autistic people to get ready for, secure, and sustain, rewarding careers. We are now looking to expand our team.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a unique not-for-private-profit organisation in Northern Ireland where you will have the opportunity to develop new tools and techniques which support the career development and well-being of autistic adults.
Job Title: Autism Project Worker (15 hours weekly). Project: 2gether
The 2gether project was designed in 2016 through surveys and focus groups with 100 autistic people.
For details of 2gether, visit: https://www.specialisterneni.com/introducing-2gether/
Working as part of the 2gether Project team, the 2gether Project Worker’s aim is to support participants, who are adults on the Autistic Spectrum, to experience reduced attitudinal and communication barriers, and to progress in relation to having a career, feeling socially connected, and feeling better represented.
• One to one meetings with 2gether participants, to support participants to develop strategies in relation to:
o Having a career, feeling socially connected, and better represented
o Reducing attitudinal and communication barriers
• Coaching participants in relation to strategies of autistic people.
• Support of small groups. For example, helping participants to connect with each other regarding areas of common interests.
• Support of group workshops. For example, planning and co-delivery of monthly group workshops.
• Out of workshop project activities. Undertaking weekly activities, along with the 2gether project team, to support participants to achieve project aims, such as employer surveys and virtual reality projects.
• Support of the 2gether Participant Panel, who review and advise on 2gether project activities.
• Maintaining records in relation to all project activity, in line with Specialisterne NI quality standards and GDPR regulations.
• Ongoing learning of tools and techniques which may support 2gether participants to achieve project objectives
• Any other activity which fits the remit of the 2gether project.
• Study in a relevant subject area at undergraduate or post graduate level (this includes currently studying or completed) Examples of relevant study include Atypical Development, Psychology, Autism Spectrum related, Sensory Integration.
• Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of Autism.
• Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of Autism
• Experience in supporting children, young people, or adults on the Autistic Spectrum to achieve the changes they want
• Experience in supporting people in small groups
• Experience in documentation of work according to quality standards.
• Demonstrated willingness to learn and a commitment to developing new solutions for autistic people.
• A driving licence or ability to travel to various locations across Belfast where the project will be delivered.
Terms and Conditions
• 15 hours weekly, times to be agreed with the successful candidate. Hours typically between 9am-5:30pm, Monday -Friday and one evening per month (which is the 2gether monthly group workshop).
• Salary will be commensurate with experience.
• The 2gether project runs until 9 July 2020, A contract of employment will be fixed term up until 9 July 2020.
• Specialisterne NI is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Employment to this post is therefore subject to an Access NI Enhanced Check.
• The 2gether project, inclusive of this post, is funded by the Big Lottery Fund.
• Specialisterne NI is an equal opportunities employer.
• Interested applicants should send a Curriculum Vitae to:
Sharon Didrichsen, Manager, Specialisterne NI
By email: email@example.com
Or by post to:
239 Newtownards Road
• Closing date for applications: 13 November 2017
• For additional information regarding the 2gether Project and Specialisterne NI, visit https://www.specialisterneni.com/introducing-2gether or contact Sharon Didrichsen at firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile 07565 936191
• Additional hours may be available as part of the Specialisterne NI Bank of Autism Support Workers, delivering employability and in-work support to autistic people, with the potential to increase hours to full-time.
• Applicants from the shortlist for this post may also be considered for the Specialisterne NI Bank of Autism Support Workers.